Saturday, March 31, 2007

Fixed-gear Ciocc


I ride a new steel Ciocc roadbike configured as a fixed-gear.
Dedaccia steel with carbon fork, Campi record levers, DuraAce crankset and brakes. The hub is a White Industries "eccentric eno" that allows perfect chain tensioning with vertical dropouts. The gear ratio is 42:15. A relatively high gear number allows me "spin up" to almost anyone on flats and slight uphills. On a 2 to 3% grade I am 10% faster than on my full geared Trek. On 7% grades, I stand the entire climb, which equates to 250 one-legged squats per mile. At 12% you're walking.
The bike weights 18lbs and it is so quiet, you can sneak up on a cat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Sam,

Sounds like a sweet ride and exactly what I'm trying to build-up. Where did you buy the frame and fork?

Thanks,
Christian Thompson
dcthomp at yahoo dot com